Welcome to the GCSE Physics Ninja Electromagnetism course.
These video lessons are based on question-and-answer flashcards. You can either make your own or purchase the printable flashcards from the shop.
What will I learn in this course?
When you have completed this course, you will be able to...
- Describe the properties of magnets and their effects on other materials.
- Recall the magnetic properties of iron vs. steel.
- Draw the typical magnetic field pattern around a magnet.
- Understand how to magnetise and demagnetise a magnetic material.
- Explain how a current creates its own magnetic field.
- Describe how to make a simple electromagnet and explain its various uses.
- Understand the motor effect and use Fleming's left hand rule.
- Describe the construction of a DC motor
- Explain how electromagnetic induction can generate an EMF in a conductor.
- Predict the direction of an induced current.
- Describe how a rotating coil generator works.
- Understand how a transformer uses electromagnetic induction to change voltages.
- Recall the structure of a simple transformer.
- Calculate input and output voltages using the transformer voltage-turns equation.
- Use the transformer power equation to calculate voltages and currents.
- Explain the differences between a standard iron core transformer and a switch mode transformer.